Monday, December 14, 2009

Month One

Whew! We made it through. It wasn't bad. Not as bad as people told me it would be. There weren't countless nights spent rocking a screaming baby. There isn't any colic or other health problems (knock on wood) to deal with. All in all it's been great. We're all learning a lot about each other. I definitely learned that all those years of insomnia have paid off. :D I get slightly more sleep now than I did before I was pregnant. I also have learned that I'm eating my words. I swore I would never give her a pacifier. That lasted all of one day. She has such a tremendous sucking reflex that she was sucking her hands and arms until she had hickies! So, she gets a binki. I also swore the baby wouldn't sleep with me. She does. I can't bear to have her far away. I'm terrified that she will stop breathing. I have managed to put her in the bassinet right next to the bed. She doesn't spend the whole night in it, after the middle of the night feeding she stays in bed with me. Dh doesn't like it, he's afraid he'll roll on her. But I just can't quite explain to him how I feel. He doesn't understand our need to touch each other. She is still in that stage where she needs to touch mommy to feel safe.

We are getting used to the carrier. I have one called The Ultimate Baby Wrap. It's kind of strange to put on at first, but gets easier with practice. She doesn't like it at all, that's why we're practicing with it a little every day. I need to be able to do a little housework occasionally. ;)

1 comments:

Dana said...

Binkies are a must here, only my boys called them me-me's

Glad things are going so well!!