Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Canning

I decided to bust out my canners and do a little canning this week. Yay!

Sunday evening I canned 10 half pints of mulberry jam. I didn't take any pictures though. There is a mulberry tree in our neighbor's yard. Most of it grows over into ours though. I think they trim it back on their side of the fence. I picked all I could reach standing on a chair and gathered all I could find in the yard. I almost had enough for a batch of jam. So I tossed in about 1 cup of blue berries to make enough. :) It was the first time I've canned on my own. I used to can with my Grandma all the time. In fact the last time I canned with her we made strawberry-rhubarb jam. Mmmmm.

Yesterday I got out the pressure canner to can green beans. The rabbits ate off all the beans I planted so I had to resort to farmers market beans. It's ok, I didn't mind too much. Although I think they were a bit pricey. I paid $20 for a half bushel.

I was a little bit nervous about using the pressure canner so I waited until Mike was home in case it exploded. That way he could take me to the hospital. Thankfully nothing went wrong. So I now have a dozen quarts of green beans!

This is what it looked like half way through the process. Half of the beans remaining to be snapped.

The other half in the canner ready to go.

The finished product!

0 comments: